Saturday, April 11, 2009

Genesis - Foxtrot



It was precisely two years ago when the connection with my girlfriend was getting worse and worse, and I was really depressive emotionally. In that time this music was a big energy source for me, and something which I will always remember of, something which will always be connected with that time.
"Contrast" is an important word for this album. It's tipical of the whole progressive rock genre, too, but on this album it means more properties. For example the 1:41 minutes long Horizons with its gentle glass guitar sounding against the 22:54 minutes long Supper's ready, which is kept the best progressive rock song ever by some fans. Perhaps they are right. It took a huge effect on me. The contrast is also very evident in this track - there are many little parts in it. From the direct, impressive start we head on farer in our thoughts, in our depression - and later the energetic feelings shoot out again and again. I like the starting theme, which comes back at 5:44 and at the end, in the most forceful version. Genesis proves that how many feelings, energy and atmosphere can be placed in one song!
But let's get back to the album. First I wanted to write "the coolest/the most interesting" parts of it, but that would be too long. Just only a few:
- in track 1, the hard initial for the whole album at 1:03,
- in track 2, the bass melody in the refrain, at 1:44,
- in track 4, the beautiful part with deep bass, at 1:21, the brave change at 4:00, but it's only the first in that track, there will be more (this is my favourite track on this album).
And I would continue this list for a long time. Be prepared when your hear this album for the first time - it's full of mood changes, interesting musical solutions, but if you know the progressive rock genre, that won't be newness. I am sure about that Genesis was far better in that time when Peter Gabriel was the singer and Phil Collins the drummer - Foxtrot was made in this time, in 1972, so you can hear as Peter Gabriel sings or sometimes even shouts: that's inimitable and I think it's intensely belongs to Genesis.

Walking across the sitting-room, I turn the television off.
Sitting beside you, I look into your eyes.
As the sound of motor cars fades in the night time,
I swear I saw your face change, it didn't seem quite right....
And it's hello babe with your guardian eyes so blue
Hey my baby don't you know our love is true.

Coming closer with our eyes, a distance falls around our bodies.
Out in the garden, the moon seems very bright,
Six saintly shrouded men move across the lawn slowly.
The seventh walks in front with a cross held high in hand....
And it's hello babe your supper's waiting for you.
Hey my baby, don't you know our love is true.
(from Supper's ready)
Watch the Supper's ready live version on
(there are more parts of it)
Watch the Watcher of the skies live version on

No comments:

Post a Comment