Thursday, March 25, 2010

Quincy Jones - You've got it bad girl



If the standard says it might as well be spring, I'll say it might as well be summer - at least here, in Budapest, where I live. Spring has arrived very quickly and everything started to live again.

I've known this album for approximately one year. It gave me some very fine moments and also inspiration to my own music. As we could get used to it Quincy adapts movie themes and the songs are supported by clever and cool arrangements. Summer in the city is the slow-midtempo intro song which gives the album a fine start. It broadcasts something warm, something mysterious which remains at least until the half of the album. There something happens, the arrangement becomes wilder, somehow harder and funkier. It is Stevie Wonder's Superstition which changes the mood. But my favourite song is Tribute to A.F. which starts with a perfect daydreaming-melody and evolves into a very nice and loose music with cosy lyrics. To sum up, it's the second best album of Quincy's behind Smackwater Jack. And the harmonica player is not else as Toots Thielemans.

Daydreaming and I'm thinking of you
Daydreaming and I'm thinking of you
Hey baby let's get away let's go somewhere far...

Summer in the city (Lovin' Spoonful):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWXcjYNZais


Summer in the city (Quincy Jones):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9wMHKMj6E

Tribute to A.F.:



No comments:

Post a Comment