Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks and blues



It was a great discovery for me at Amazon in the autumn, when I found this album. Bobbi Humphrey? I've never heard about her.

And it's the same story again. When you have many favourite melodies, and hear the new one, it shockingly touches your heart and became a top-x one. The first impression was in Harlem River Drive, as the black chorus comes in and they sing a beautiful melody. Later, when Humphrey doesn't just play on flute, she sings as well, it's a perfect match to the slightly hoarse men's voice. The whole album is great. I don't know how but all the melodies broadcast some kind of piece and not real happiness... just the feeling of happiness. It's hard to describe, it needs to be heard: do it below and give yourself to this world, it'll surely make your day. It made my days as well and so strong that it also inspired me to make a new part in my own long song. A black reportage from the past.

From the cover:

Bobbi Humphrey. Where's she coming from? Where's she going to? If we're straight on our priorities, you'll be listening to her album while I tell you about some of the answers...
First principle: she's positive energy. Black energy, a black woman leaping oceans and continents at a single bound. With positive strength of purpose.
Further, she's black purity. Hear that in her intonation. Without trickery. She knows the gimmicks, scorns to use 'em. Rather, she'll face you and relate what's in her heart, faithfully and incorruptibly.

Harlem River Drive:

No comments:

Post a Comment