Friday, December 18, 2009

Pet Shop Boys - Behaviour



In life, people sometimes have totally unnecessary days when they feel themselves aimless, lonely, or anything else. Today was something like this for me, and maybe this made me to pick off an old favourite from the cd shelf. The forever effective one-word-titled Behaviour is PSB's most "alone" and silent album.

Now there's a milestone in my life and I have so much free time... so much free time suddenly, and I don't really know or feel what to do. "Shall I rewrite, or revise my October Symphony?" "She said we were never feeling bored" "I never knew time pass so slow" These are quotations from the album, and there's one more important, "Dress in white", says an old birthday party invitation card - this is how the album starts with the beautiful song Being boring, which PSB says about: "The song is about growing up - the ideals that you have when you're young and how they turn out." The song didn't really changed over the years, as you can see in the videos (I remember singing it with my friend to strangers on the Sziget festival, but PSB didn't give concert here that year).
After the melancholic but somehow hopeful intro, I hear This must be the place I waited years to leave's lamenting and calmly celebrational melodies, and the lower part of the far sky quite fast turns from grey to faint yellow. Then I reach To face the truth, which is similar to Only the wind - these two songs provides the most intimate parts of the album. But - PSB remains PSB - there are bigger hits on the album, too, like How can you expect to be taken seriously? touched by some rock, and So hard. Ending with the purely honest and - I think - well-known feelings for everyone, Jealousy, which gives a celebrational close to the album.



I have this cd in Further listening version which means double cd, the original album + an extra disc containing longer or other versions of songs and songs which were made around that time, but were previously unreleased. Aimless days... Behaviour. And a reminder: She was never bored because she was never boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment