Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lonnie Liston Smith and the Cosmic Echoes - Renaissance



Let me stay at the previous topic, because now I don't have to wait for a long time to have a real own flat. One night, on the day before yesterday, I was listening to this album, the lights were low in my room, and I got in a loose mood. Music which was produced by afro-americans usually has this sort of effect. In that mood, I continued my imagination in my mind, about that I have a big room, with big windows - with a great view to the city. If these parameters were true and the music were playing in the night, I won't long for anything else at that actual moment.

This album from 1977 can quickly pick you out from the greyness of weekdays and can create an exotic atmosphere around you. You'll feel that you're inside the music. Seven songs, famous pieces by Lonnie (don't get confused, there's an other Lonnie Smith - without Liston, he was a jazz organ player), but the album isn't too long. As I listened to other albums I realized that there are some well-known tracks by him which always repeat on the albums, except few other - shortly, one song can be heared on more albums.

When I saw its cover for the first time, I thank immediately that it must be... something cool, extraordinary, or something "very". The cover shows a whole attitude to life. I talked about the afro-american airiness: this pairs with a deep singing voice which flows ahead with the music. By its exciting arrangement these two make a culturally/musically notable event. His soft, phased and distorted elektrik piano sounds, the clanking bells, the brass section, which don't want to be loud, the rhythmic percussion patterns and a lot more keeps our attention alive very well. There's no more to say... Exotic. Transcendental. Standing high on the hill.



Starlight and you:

No comments:

Post a Comment