Saturday, August 22, 2009

Maybe... John Mayall - The turning point



A few days ago I realized something. Something which is maybe my own imagination, and the result of my adoration towards the season: autumn.

The colour of sunshine has changed. It's more pale than earlier.
There are more and more leaves on the ground, which is also very dry.

Maybe there was a thin cloud on the sky - like a veil, that's for the colour.
Maybe there wasn't any rain for a long time, that's for the leaves.

Maybe.
Or maybe not.

So I felt that I must choose a last album for this summer, because it's gone. I need something with which I say goodbye.

The turning point is also an album which I got to know by a casette in that mentioned weekend house. It's a live performance, recorded in 1969 and a great album. Mayall's guitar and harmonica melodies are perfect for a later summer day. A lot of emotions mix between the tracks, from joy to contemplative parts, that's what I like in music, and here - in blues. And if we are at blues, it's the moderner blues. The tracks aren't only another interpretations of the blues-circles, these sometimes exit the genre, especially where there's a progressive feeling in them. For example, in my favourite song on this album: California. With its 9:31 minutes length it's something which builds up as we go on, as we are leaded into the song: first the cool bass-pattern (which stays until the end, and always repeates), and the immediately appering melancholic, fascinating guitar sounds (4:39!)... plus Mayall's singing voice, matching perfectly to this mood. So hard to share or Thoughts about Roxanne are also good examples for this longer, evolving type of blues.

Goin' back to California
So many good things around
Don't wanna leave California
The sun seems to never go down.

California:


No comments:

Post a Comment