Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Grover Washington, Jr. - Inner city blues



One of the coolest things about music is the process when you get to know it. For me, who leaded me to this album was Marvin Gaye and which leaded to him was a Quincy Jones album. The line hasn't finished yet, it's a never-ending thing.
It was a summer afternoon not a long time ago when I first listened to this album, and that time I was ill - though getting better and better I swear, that music also healed me. Music can show again the power believed to be lost in us.
It's a cover album from 1972 and now you can enjoy it as one of Verve's Originals series. As many as two songs are related to Marvin Gaye, as you can also know it by its main title. Inner city blues and Mercy, mercy me - this latter in fact is not just Mercy, mercy me, it's a blend of it and the well-known What's going on, and the performance is very, very cool. Inner city blues is also nice, with the siren noise at the beginning and the fine melody as it comes in, and later gets stronger, faster, making experiences and creating a denser atmosphere.
The other cornerstone on this album is Billy Wither's Ain't no sunshine. The performance is absolutely perfect, keeping the original melody but adding Theme from "Man and Boy" to it, lengthening it. Here and at Georgia on my mind a beautiful string section works in the background which makes the music warmer.
It's really a must-have experience. One afternoon, one living room, shaded windows. The sunshine's just looming out there. And the first tones are starting to fill the room.


Mercy, mercy me:

www.ververecords.com

No comments:

Post a Comment