Saturday, May 15, 2010

Billie Holiday - Recorded from Carnegie Hall live



I was just thinking about what to listen to in this rainy and grey spring afternoon, and my decision happened to be ideal for this mood.

This special concert recording features short excerpts from Billie's autobiographical book, Lady sings the blues read by a narrator with a perfect voice which is absolutely suitable on this album, I reckon. I immediately peeked into it at Amazon and maybe I'll read it in the summertime.
With a cup of tea on the window sill I was staring out the window, daydreaming about what was and what will be and the beauty of music, while the rain was heavily knocking the glass in front of me. It was beautiful, indeed - music has a power like nothing, it starts thoughts in your head and writes on. On this album Lady Day sings the famous Lady sings the blues, Body and soul, Yesterdays, I cover the waterfront while we can peek into the interesting segments of her life. Lady sings the blues... yes, that's totally true. With her hoarse singing voice the ballads are very impressive and she absolutely lives the songs - and takes in them her pain, memories and desires. The older quality is ice on the cake.



I cover the waterfront:


The album inspired me and I watched another videos from her on YouTube, here are two songs: Autumn in New York, Good morning heartache (I'm looking forward to write about these two songs in the section standards, this year it will surely happen).

Mom and Pop were just a couple of kids when they got married. He was eighteen, she was sixteen, and I was three.
I was a woman when I was sixteen. I was big for my age, with big breasts, big bones, a big fat healthy broad, that's all. So I started working out then, before school and after, minding babies, running errands, and scrubbing those damn white steps all over Baltimore.
But whether I was riding a bike or scrubbing somebody's dirty bathroom floor, I used to love to sing all the time. I liked music. If there was a place where I could go and hear it, I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment