Friday, June 12, 2009

Jimmy Smith - The cat



I haven't known what should I write for the next post until this afternoon, when a sad thing happened to me. While I was walking, I saw a dead cat. I didn't know that it's dead, I just got closer to it (thinking that it's just lying on the pavement), but as I stepped beside it, I recognized the reality. This gave me the idea for this post: The cat.

Jimmy Smith has a professional talent to play loud, fast big-band things or slow and quiet ballads. Now it's the loud side of Jimmy Smith, whose nickname is often "Incredible" (as you can see it on the cover).

The cat is an 1964 record (originally Polygram but later Verve), and has two theme-songs (as often on Quincy Jones albums). The music is loose, it will make you forget your problems, because the melodies have carefree atmosphere. Because of the time when it was recorded, it's quite short but a great delight for a sunny summer day. And if we are at organ, a strange instrument which got into the jazz a long time ago - let's talk about it. There are some instruments in jazz which are rare. One of these is organ, whose one of the biggest masters was Jimmy Smith. I read an interesting thing in the book: Janos Gonda - Jazzworld (he's a Hungarian jazz musician and also a writer of several articles about this art). So he writes the following: as the organ got into the jazz, many pianists started playing it. But they were just playing piano - on an organ, there wasn't any difference in the way of playing. Except for Jimmy, who created a new own language for the organ, a new way to play it, making it an instrument which is slightly different to the piano.
See his page on the Verve website:

No comments:

Post a Comment